Monday, June 2, 2008

I still feel lightheaded.


So, I spent my weekend pouring muriatic acid (also known as Hydrochloric acid) over two sheet metal panels. What I should have remembered is that HCl is actually gaseous and hydrochloric acid is just its liquid state, so HCl fumes filled the air and created a chemical fog. It was like I was inside of one of those crazy carnival looking extermination tents. I think I actually melted the hair in my nose and I'm certain that I have self-imposed permanent brain cell loss. The end goal was to create a rusted style magnet board for my wall. After letting the panels corrode I coated them with polyurethane and screwed them to the wall. This was also insanely difficult to do by myself. It was one of those tasks that I attempted at 4 am in my underwear with streaks of rust all over my nasty sweaty face. I should probably go get a tetanus shot... I'll just wait until lock jaw sets in. Anyway, I thought I would go ahead and post a photo. I plan on putting magnetized frames all over the board. I have just one small frame up now to sort of give ya the idea.

4 comments:

heidi said...

Hey Ben! Looks cool, I am a little worried about the brain loss though! Really, how about opening a window?! What a creative guy you are. Kuddos for taking it all on by yourself :)

Heidi

Mindy said...

Benji, Love,love,love it! I want one for me when I ever get a house! Thanks for making the arrangements for our stay on Friday. It was great! Also, your last post didn't work. Maybe you can repost it? Love ya, Mins

the.kim.peterson said...

the price one pays for craftiness.

Anna said...

Love it. Totally not sure how I ended up on your blog, but I'm okay with that. This story? Reminded me of spray paint induced trips to the ER. Nice one ;)